Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Politics  > Supreme Court & Healthcare

Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Giuliano

Default Supreme Court & Healthcare

Some of the Supreme Court Justices were laughing in the first day of arguments about the healthcare law. They were laughing at Obama's lawyer!

From Obama Lawyer Laughed at In Supreme Court - Obamacare - Fox Nation:

U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli used the phrase “tax penalty” multiple times to describe the individual mandate’s backstop. He portrayed the fee as a penalty by design, but one that functions as a tax because it’s collected through the tax code.

“General Verrilli, today you are arguing that the penalty is not a tax. Tomorrow you are going to be back and you will be arguing that the penalty is a tax,” said Justice Samuel Alito, in one of the few laugh lines throughout the 90 minutes of argument Monday.
. . .
Justice Elena Kagan asked whether refusing to buy insurance would constitute breaking the law, to which Verrilli responded that if people “pay the tax, then they are in compliance with the law.” That caught the attention of Justice Stephen Breyer.

“Why do you keep saying tax?” Breyer interjected, to more laughs.

The justices, particularly the four Democratic-appointees, and Justice Antonin Scalia, appeared skeptical that the fine constitutes a tax.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Supreme Court & Healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Some of the Supreme Court Justices were laughing in the first day of arguments about the healthcare law. They were laughing at Obama's lawyer!................
LOL!!
Thats the best headline I could have read.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Part of the reason our founding fathers broke form England was from the taxation without representation, so tax or no tax, if this bill stays in, and it among with other factors push enough Americans over the edge, then *Shutters.*

And need I point out that humans from the ages of 13 to 21 years if age are very easy to provoke to anger, but have little control over their actions when blinded by that anger, which would make things worse.

Never the less, That was kinda funny.
If you can agree with your church about 95% of the time and the 5% you and your church disagree on are minor issues, you're in a great church. Now whether or not the Lord agrees with that church is even more important. Look, you can only solve so much via government. Sometimes you have to jump off the couch and do some stuff yourself. Some peoples reaction to that?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
LOL!!
Thats the best headline I could have read.
I found it amusing myself that the Democratic appointees found the argument a bit stretched. Obama's game plan was obvious: Claim it is a tax so most of the case gets dismissed since you can't appeal a tax until you've paid it -- and by the time anyone paid it, most of the provisions would already have taken effect.

If it is a tax, exactly what goods or services are being taxed? That would be like saying a parking ticket is a tax. I think it's fairly clear it's not a tax but a penalty or fine. Thus the case doesn't look as if it will be dismissed on this basis, since even the Democratic appointees seemed skeptical of it being a tax.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 PM

I'm not an "Obama-care" fan in general. I disagree with having to pay a "penalty" (tax) if I choose not to buy insurance. I am under a court order to provide a healthcare plan for two of my children who live with my ex-wife. One has an alergy condition from birth.

if the entire healthcare law gets tossed out, can that insurance company cancel my kid's coverage?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Suspended for Review

Conscience concerns could prove decisive in health care ruling
Conscience concerns could prove decisive in health care ruling :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Giuliano

Quote:

Conscience concerns could prove decisive in health care ruling
Conscience concerns could prove decisive in health care ruling :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)
The article says the man is a "legal scholar," but he doesn't seem to understand how the Supreme Court works. Wishful thinking on his part, I'd say. They make rulings only on things which hear appeals on.

So far as I heard, conscience never was part of any of the arguments presented in the Supreme Court. Why would they rule on that then when it's not involved? To determine that, they'd need to hear an appeal from the lower courts about a case involving conscience.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
The article says the man is a "legal scholar," but he doesn't seem to understand how the Supreme Court works. Wishful thinking on his part, I'd say. They make rulings only on things which hear appeals on.

So far as I heard, conscience never was part of any of the arguments presented in the Supreme Court. Why would they rule on that then when it's not involved? To determine that, they'd need to hear an appeal from the lower courts about a case involving conscience.
If SCOTUS was made up of perfect robots I would agree. But all those judges have political ideas too - some had made up their minds without even hearing the arguments - and even though "conscience" may not be a part of their official ruling, there is no doubt that the subject is on some of their minds.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
If SCOTUS was made up of perfect robots I would agree. But all those judges have political ideas too - some had made up their minds without even hearing the arguments - and even though "conscience" may not be a part of their official ruling, there is no doubt that the subject is on some of their minds.
That would be breaking their oath of office, wouldn't it? I think they have more than enough reasons to invalidate this law anyway. I doubt if they're going to go through the 2700 pages line by line to say this stays in and that goes out.

Justice Breyer said he hadn't read it all and doesn't intend too. Justice Scalia asked if they hadn't heard of cruel and unusual punishment showing his frustration with such a convoluted bill. If the mandate is out, my guess is the whole bill goes.

The White House said they thought their lawyer did fine! Good grief, he couldn't even come up with an answer to where are the limits of what the government can tell people to buy. Can they make people buy broccoli? Cell phones? The administration lawyer flunked that one.

I think I could have done better. I would have told them that the Supreme Court never ruled that if someone showed up at a store without money, they had to be given broccoli or a cell phone for free; but since they had ruled that hospitals can't refuse treatment, it is different since the Supreme Court said health care providers have no choice. That thought seems not to have crossed the Solicitor General's mind.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
That would be breaking their oath of office, wouldn't it?.............
If it is, then they have all been breaking the oathe for 230 years