Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Politics  > *Breezy Statesmanship

Old 03-22-2020, 07:05 AM

Default *Breezy Statesmanship

My average duration in a job is more like six months, because I've done crisis and turnaround stuff for two decades. I've been in a lot of companies and not-for-profits and institutions that were really on fire; in a lot of ways, the Senate is the least urgent, least serious institution I've ever worked in. – Ben Sasse
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Default Re: *Breezy Statesmanship

Whereas true religion and good morals are the only solid foundations of public liberty and happiness: Resolved, That it be, and it is hereby earnestly recommended to the several states, to take the most effectual measures for the encouragement thereof, and for the suppressing theatrical entertainments, horse racing, gaming, and such other diversions as are productive of idleness, dissipation, and a general depravity of principles and manners.

Continental Congress, resolution passed October 12, 1778
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:17 AM

I wish the news could be — could be real. I wish it could be honest. I wish it weren’t corrupt, but so much of it is. It’s so sad to see. Just so sad to see. - President Trump, Coronavirus Task Force Press Briefing, March 26, 2020
Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
I wish the news could be — could be real. I wish it could be honest. I wish it weren’t corrupt, but so much of it is. It’s so sad to see. Just so sad to see. - President Trump, Coronavirus Task Force Press Briefing, March 26, 2020
The fatality rate for the coronavirus will turn out to be like that of a "severe seasonal influenza."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, White House Coronavirus Task Force member

Old 03-28-2020, 07:57 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The fatality rate for the coronavirus will turn out to be like that of a "severe seasonal influenza."

Dr. Anthony Fauci, White House Coronavirus Task Force member

Yep. While the deaths are sad, this lockdown of a nation is insane.

President Trump needs to strike a balance now, between the risk of the virus and the need of the country to move forward. That is where we are at now. Continued isolation will destroy the economy, the country, and many lives, especially of lower income families. We are now at a point where we must accept the risk and move on with life. Allow me to give you an example:

Regarding motor vehicles: In 2010 in the USA, there were an estimated 5,419,000 crashes, 30,296 deadly, killing 32,999, and injuring 2,239,000. About 2,000 children under 16 die every year in traffic collisions. Records indicate that there were 3,613,732 motor vehicle fatalities in the United States from 1899 to 2013.

As a country we now accept that we must have so many deaths a year using automobiles. Now certainly we could stop all automobile deaths by ordering no more automobiles to be allowed on the road. If we focus narrowly on that one single goal then we could achieve it by just not allowing any more motor vehicles to run. But of course that would destroy the economy and the country. Therefore as a nation we have come to accept the fact that the risk of vehicle deaths is outweighed the need of the country to deliver goods and the need of people to get to work.

This virus situation is no different. We are now at a point where the danger to the people from The Cure is worse than the danger from the virus! We are now at a point where America must get back to work and accept the risks of the virus the same way we accept the risks from all other diseases, or car accidents, or plane accidents, slipping in the shower, and any number of risks that we take every day just by living life.

This is what President Trump is faced with. He must make a decision and I am sure he will make the right one. Sadly there are millions of little worms and pieces of garbage on the sidelines waiting to take him down and attack him for whatever decision he makes. And of course if he makes no decision they will attack him for that too as well as attack him for the resulting destroyed economy.

Speaking for myself I am ready to take the risk that comes with the existence of the virus and move on with life. I take a risk everyday getting in my car, I take a risk everyday getting in the shower, I take a risk everyday that I could catch any number of diseases. It's time to get back to work and let the medical community continue its good work to lessen and lesson the deaths caused by this as they do the deaths caused by all other diseases.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 03-29-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Speaking for myself I am ready to take the risk that comes with the existence of the virus and move on with life. I take a risk everyday getting in my car, I take a risk everyday getting in the shower, I take a risk everyday that I could catch any number of diseases. It's time to get back to work and let the medical community continue its good work to lessen and lesson the deaths caused by this as they do the deaths caused by all other diseases.
Likewise. The country has swallowed the whole ugly narrative. Possibly, the design was too good and crafted in another ‘dimension’! Is this the result of some massive counter network of purpose to put an end to Trump’s representation of the people’s liberty? I now hear talk of some news bureaus suspending coverage of his task force update briefings. While that may be wildly unrealistic, it wouldn’t be that far from the playbook’s darker world of statesmanship,
Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.

Saul Alinsky, American dissident, irreverent theorist
Old 03-30-2020, 09:39 AM

The virus panic gave Americans some idea how the European Union might act during a war or invasion, ,”

- Viral Prerequisites and Nationalist Lessons in Time of Plague, article By Victor Davis Hanson - March 29, 2020

Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The virus panic gave Americans some idea how the European Union might act during a war or invasion
Like wussies?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 03-31-2020, 06:45 AM

No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

-‘I Have a Dream’ Speech, 1963 March on Washington, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 AM

The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men.

- Samuel Adams, Founding Father, November 4, 1775