Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Christianity & Family  > McDonalds Lady Speaks Out

View Poll Results: What should be done?
Lady should have (and did) been arrested for being out of line 1 16.67%
The president of the company should have addressed her concern with more compassion 3 50.00%
The lady should have kept her mouth shut and found another job if she's not happy 0 0%
Not sure 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Default McDonalds Lady Speaks Out

The lady said "I've worked here 10 years" ... the president's response was "I've worked here 40 years" (then she was threatened to be arrested - and I believe was arrested)... I believe the president's response shows an extreme disconnect... I think there's probably a direct association between income and the amount of time you are willing to work somewhere (and that fact alludes him). In short, I think this guy is out of touch and should have had more compassion. That said, do you think this lady is out of line or is making a good point?

Last edited by Mark : 10-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Default Re: McDonalds Lady Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
The lady said "I've worked here 10 years" ... the president's response was "I've worked here 40 years" (then she was threatened to be arrested - and I believe was arrested)... I believe the president's response shows an extreme disconnect... I think there's probably a direct association between income and the amount of time you are willing to work somewhere (and that fact alludes him). In short, I think this guy is out of touch and should have had more compassion. That said, do you think this lady is out of line or is making a good point?

Well, being on the job for 10 years, and making less than $9 an hour is pretty bad... but... that being said... what might we not being told? $9 an hour isn't bad in an poverty stricken area where the cost of living is much less, and its her fault she has two kids without a father supporting them (unless he died or was extremely abusive). I would need to know a lot more before I could fairly judge the situation. But when I heard the president of mcdonalds give his answer, my first thought was her answering "and how much do you earn now sir?". How much has his income grown percentage wise from when he first started 40 years ago. Most ppl higher up in business or in any position of power, govt and private tend to be out of touch with the common ppl.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
she has two kids without a father supporting them (unless he died or was extremely abusive).
This part of your comment is what caught my eye. It seems to suggest that there is a level of abuse, somewhere less than extreme, that might be considered excusable. I'm sure you're not suggesting that, are you?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Suspended for Review

If her wages were doubled MacDonalds would probably have to shut their doors as they are so labour intensive.
Wages are regulated low so businesses can be profitable and keep people employed.

It is unfair that some can be excessively remunerated while most other employees are in poverty.
In theory this shows the free enterprise system to be much worst than communism.

Macdonalds do have an advancement policy but motivated people go down that path.
The president makes a valid point but he is a jerk.

Good on her for speaking out tho their ears are waxed.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Suspended for Review

I think they both are missing something. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. I seldom go to MacDonald's anymore because, frankly, their prices are higher than I find acceptable. Now if I was one of the super-rich, it wouldn't pose a problem.

What fast food restaurants may wind up being are the new servant class. Rich people used to have their servants in their houses -- cooks, maids, butlers, etc. Today, when both parents work and people are busy, they prefer to go out to eat instead of cooking at home. Some people can afford that daily; and some people can afford even fancier restaurants.

This is not going to change until the structure of the American economy changes. It may even get worse. Automation threatens many jobs. Walmart, often the employer of people who find it hard to find jobs elsewhere, is moving towards more self-scan checkouts -- reducing the number of jobs. The more low-skill people there are competing for jobs, the lower the wages need to be to get people to work; and the more profits employers can pocket.

I'd say this trend was aggravated by "Free Trade." Employees were seen as things to be used, not people employers wanted or needed to retain. Loyalty between employer and employee in a mutually beneficial relationship seems to be a thing of the past.

Suppose MacDonald's unilaterally raised wages while Burger King and Wendy's didn't. What would happen then? MacDonald's business would suffer; and they'd be employing fewer people.

One solution might be to rethink the number of hours counted as full time. That woman is making $330 a week if working 40 hours a week. I don't think raising minimum wage works; but what might is to raise minimum wage while also reducing the number of hours counted as full time. Raising her wage from $8.25 to $11.00 and making 30 hours full time would mean if she worked only 30 hours, she'd be making the same $330. If she worked over that, it would be overtime at $16.50 an hour. This would also employ more low skill workers.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
This part of your comment is what caught my eye. It seems to suggest that there is a level of abuse, somewhere less than extreme, that might be considered excusable. I'm sure you're not suggesting that, are you?
Some ppl think abusive is when ppl speak up for themselves against a pre-abusive act. Need I go further... are you looking for a weakness to exploit in me? An example would be my ex-wife who emailed me wanting to know my physical address, as she said she wanted to send me snail mail that is addressed to me that she wants to forward to me. I replied that I have all pertinent mail coming to me already, and anything she gets for me can be thrown away. She replied that I was being stupid, and paranoid, and just didn't want to give out my physical address. Irritated by her attitude I replied that if she promised to throw away the snail mail, I would give her my physical address. Her reply was that I was being mean and abusive.

I suppose you think that I was being abusive also?

When I was married to her, and she was feeling very depressed (she is bipolar and had attempted suicide in the past), and angry about our discussion about some financial problems, she in anger said that she was leaving and going to end it all. I restrained her on her "soft" bed until she calmed down. When she divorced me, she put it in writing that I had "abused" her physically at that time.

I suppose you would agree with her in that as well?

Why is it that you pre-dispose yourself to assume evil of me?
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
It is unfair that some can be excessively remunerated while most other employees are in poverty.
In theory this shows the free enterprise system to be much worst than communism.
We have neither free enterprise nor communism. We have crony capitalism of a sort rather resembling the economy of Germany under the Nazis.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Knight of the Forum

What moron would work McDonalds for ten years

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
Some ppl think abusive is when ppl speak up for themselves against a pre-abusive act. Need I go further... are you looking for a weakness to exploit in me? An example would be my ex-wife who emailed me wanting to know my physical address, as she said she wanted to send me snail mail that is addressed to me that she wants to forward to me. I replied that I have all pertinent mail coming to me already, and anything she gets for me can be thrown away. She replied that I was being stupid, and paranoid, and just didn't want to give out my physical address. Irritated by her attitude I replied that if she promised to throw away the snail mail, I would give her my physical address. Her reply was that I was being mean and abusive.

I suppose you think that I was being abusive also?

When I was married to her, and she was feeling very depressed (she is bipolar and had attempted suicide in the past), and angry about our discussion about some financial problems, she in anger said that she was leaving and going to end it all. I restrained her on her "soft" bed until she calmed down. When she divorced me, she put it in writing that I had "abused" her physically at that time.

I suppose you would agree with her in that as well?

Why is it that you pre-dispose yourself to assume evil of me?
I don't know what went on between you and her, and I'm not interested in what she calls abuse. I'm interested in what type of abuse you consider less than extreme, and why it would be excusable. I have no idea why you would think I have some sort of predisposition about you.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
I don't know what went on between you and her, and I'm not interested in what she calls abuse. I'm interested in what type of abuse you consider less than extreme, and why it would be excusable. I have no idea why you would think I have some sort of predisposition about you.
I assume your predisposition, from all the word games you play, and wanting to feel like you can notch a "win" against me or anyone who here who loves Christ. That's why you are here, to be our judge, and find fault with our Christian morals, no? That's what I see in your posts regardless of your answer. Just like the game you play in not answering my questions about whether you found that situation as described. If you can answer in those two situations, I will give you a couple of answers from scenarios you can make up. Your general question is too vague requiring too much thought and typing to answer it, with you only finding more fault with whatever answer I put up.