Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > The Round Table > Christian Unity  > Doctrines and love

Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Representative Clergy

Default Doctrines and love

These two are not mutually exclusive. They are integral, as we see in the brief but beautiful 2 Epistle of St. John the Beloved Apostle and Theologian:

4 I rejoiced greatly that I have found some of your children walking in truth, as we received commandment from the Father. 5 And now I plead with you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we have had from the beginning: that we love one another. 6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it. 7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.

What a beautiful thought on love and truth. One who "walks in truth" is one who "walks in love," because our love is for God first, and He is Truth, and His commandments and teachings are truth. St. John then continues:

9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

We are to be wary of those who bring false doctrine. Why? Out of love for God in truth and out of love for the brethren, the faithful, that corruption does not enter into the house of the Lord, and that we not "lose the things we worked for."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Doctrines and love

Well I agree that some doctrine can lead us from the Truth and even lead us from the Love of Christ, but with so many doctrines from so many faiths, deciding who is right and wrong in the proper doctrine is a bit more confusing.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
SeraphimH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
Well I agree that some doctrine can lead us from the Truth and even lead us from the Love of Christ, but with so many doctrines from so many faiths, deciding who is right and wrong in the proper doctrine is a bit more confusing.
I felt the same way, but with some study in scripture, history, theology, patristics, and a lot of prayer and self-examination, the choice became clear to me. Have you done any study in these areas Brad?

Doctrine is integral to love. To love God is to love the truth, and this truth can't be reached if doctrine is ignored. We also have to be weary of sentimentality, or false love brought on my emotional reaction, and not confuse it with true love. Emotional reaction is a temporary action, not a condition. We shouldn't confuse how we feel about a subject with who we are as persons. Examples on the forum are abundant.

Last edited by SeraphimH : 12-29-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
........We are to be wary of those who bring false doctrine. Why? Out of love for God in truth and out of love for the brethren, the faithful, that corruption does not enter into the house of the Lord, and that we not "lose the things we worked for."
I just posted about this in another thread. Here is my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
.......I dont see any dry dusty doctrine ever bringing anyone together..........
I disagree. A "doctrine" is basically a "teaching", and orthodoxy leads to orthopraxy. For example, if I were to convert to Islam, my worship practices will reflect the teachings I have accepted. Likewise, within Christinity, how you worship will depend on what you have been taught or what teachings you accept. So "doctrine" is a crucial element in the faith: Not the only one for sure, but still a crucial one
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
I just posted about this in another thread. Here is my post:
Lex Orandi, lex credendi. Very true.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Knight of the Forum

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
just thought I'd throw that in there
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
preachergirl

Excellent scriptural response DoinghisWill. That was a response from the Holy ghost, truly.

And so was the OP by father L., and if such a beautiful description of what Truth is (Love) and what Love is (Truth) leads to a discussion about Discernment, then the flesh, dead law, & circumcision, profit nothing, but the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead is the Spirit in you that will "quicken" you, so that by the anointing you will know what lies on either side of the sword, whether it be flesh (man) or spirit (God).

And this Spirit IS Truth, which also IS Love, and if we go around the bush with every subject but Love, then we are missing the mark...the blood of the Gospel, which makes us one, "when" the Spirit of love in us witnesses God's presence by a "love for the brethren."
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
preachergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

We are to be wary of those who bring false doctrine. Why? Out of love for God in truth and out of love for the brethren, the faithful, that corruption does not enter into the house of the Lord, and that we not "lose the things we worked for."

I have to tell you that I know this IS a Word from God Today. And how do I know? By the same Spirit that bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. A major point in the word you have written is the very last part..."that we not lose the things we worked for." And those things are not only tangible but are very much spiritual.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinghiswill View Post
Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
just thought I'd throw that in there
He also said that the Truth will set you free, and no one cany deny that some denominations teach things that are untrue.

My favorite example is this: Some churches say you do not baptise babies and others say that you do. Obviously they cannot both be true, so somewhere Christians are practicing false practices based on a false teaching. That is bad.

If the truth sets you free, then what does error do?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
He also said that the Truth will set you free, and no one cany deny that some denominations teach things that are untrue.

My favorite example is this: Some churches say you do not baptise babies and others say that you do. Obviously they cannot both be true, so somewhere Christians are practicing false practices based on a false teaching. That is bad.

If the truth sets you free, then what does error do?
2 examples from Acts say that the whole house was baptized. It sure sounds like the children were.

Acts 16:33 (Whole Chapter)
And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

Acts 18:8 (Whole Chapter)
And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Just saying.

« Compatible? | - »