Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > The Round Table > Christian Unity  > Doctrines and love

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: Doctrines and love

Great verses. In those days, not many "households" did not have children
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Knight of the Forum

I agree, neither circumcision nor uncircimsission cannot save. But I think the issue here is doctrine and truth. Faith entails truth and love also. There an inner connection between love, truth, faith. I think that is what everyone is saying.

Now, and I am not saying that was the purpose here, we cannot say that doctrine is indifferent to truth or to faith. Or that as long as I have "faith" it does not matter what I believe.

Again, there is nothing mutually exclusive here. To teach the truth is to love.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
He also said that the Truth will set you free, and no one cany deny that some denominations teach things that are untrue.

My favorite example is this: Some churches say you do not baptise babies and others say that you do. Obviously they cannot both be true, so somewhere Christians are practicing false practices based on a false teaching. That is bad.

If the truth sets you free, then what does error do?
Amen brother. And didn't Jesus say that I am the truth. So in one way doctrine shouldn't be dead if it's the truth. It should bring life.
I aggree with you on this.
The truth is a person.....Jesus the Christ.
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

We are to be wary of those who bring false doctrine. Why? Out of love for God in truth and out of love for the brethren, the faithful, that corruption does not enter into the house of the Lord, and that we not "lose the things we worked for."

Father, thanks. I very much appreciated your whole post.

I especially picked up on this last sentence (which is a summery). Teachings are to be accountable, we are to be "wary" as you say of such. Not JUST because such teachings are wrong, but because of what such does to our heart, our soul, our communion.

We all have our "journeys" - and the sometimes take odd paths. From out of nowhere, I came into the internet company of a couple that work HARD and LOVINGLY in a ministry to "rescue" people from a certain Christian "cult." Through many various discussions, I became interested in "cults" and what makes them "tick," and in their ministry to "rescue" people from such - and why such is nearly impossible to do. AT THE SAME TIME, I was intensively involved in a blog which was largely a debate between a Mormon apologist (and teacher of such) living in Las Vegas, a former Catholic seminarian, and a 4th year Catholic seminarian. Both were WAY too smart, learned and rooted in strong philosophical training for me - but there were several of us largely on the sidelines, about half Catholic (including me at the time) and half LDS. I would - at times - consider all the stuff on my plate. This "side trip" into both lasted about a year - but has been an important part of my journey. It tells me that truth matters - and a lot more than just cuz it does. And that GOOD people - with integrity, honesty, intelligence, and great education and information - can get into all kinds of things. It's a warning sign for us all - I suppose. That balance between faith and reason, what Soren Kierkegaard referred to as the "leap of faith" but as the last step, not the first. That balance between authority and accountability - it ain't as easy in "real life" as it might appear. But it's IMPORTANT. On many levels. In many ways.....

Another aspect for ME..... I have always been an excellent student. I graduated from the University of California with honors in physics and math at the age of 19. Even when I was a young teen - in high school - I would go to the university and engage in discussions with profs and TA's, filled endlessly with questions. I have a big head, lol. It it not always a good thing. I came - early - to recognize that I'm not so smart, and it is unwise to put too much stock in one's puny brain. Nowhere is this MORE obvious to me than in the things of God. We are not God. It is ABSURD to think we can grasp Him in our brains - even collectively. Now, THAT has not kept me from becoming a raging theology junkie (one of my many GREAT passions) but, on the other hand, I also not take all that TOO seriously. We are ATTEMPTING the ultimately impossible: to wrap our brains around God, to articulate in EARTHLY, limited, sinful, human language the things of the Holy. Don't misunderstand me: I don't deny the quest, I don't deny that SOMETHING can be known, I just don't take it too seriously. A wise man once told me, "The wise man says I don't know. The fool says I know and then reveals that he does not." There is something to be said for mystery. But here again, I'm sensitive to the balance. There's error on BOTH sides. The one who abandons it all - and is left with an empty spirituality, and the one who dogmatizes everything and insists that all must word everything like he/she/it does. Theology junkies like me are apt to sin too much on the later side.... I think it's a Western fault in traditional Christianity, but in liberalism, maybe things have slide to the other side. When I was young, and FILLED with complex theological questions, I use to say, "When I get to heaven, I'm going to ask for a LONG appointment with Jesus and share my long, long list of questions!" Now, I think when we get to heaven, we will celebrate love and we will be in awe of God. I suspect I'll forget all about my list (I already have).

Sorry for the too long reply. I appreciated what you posted.

Last edited by Josiah : 10-17-2010 at 08:45 AM.

« Compatible? | - »