Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Bible Chat  > A word for today

Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Representative Clergy

Default A word for today

James 1:19-27

Therefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;

for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror;

for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.

But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless.

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Re: A word for today

Amen.

Thank you, Father.

If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18

Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another. Mark 9:50
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Knight of the Forum

The point being that we should not be merely a hanger on, but active, doing something.

Awesome quote.

P.S.
There are 190 words too many.
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

Therefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;

Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror;

for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.

But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless.

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Amen Father Harry.

ped
Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post
The point being that we should not be merely a hanger on, but active, doing something.

Awesome quote.

P.S.
There are 190 words too many.
Don't overlook some important verses here. "Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls." As we see from the verses following, receiving the word is not just hearing it, but doing it, absorbing it into our active being.

I know you were kidding (hopefully) about the 190 words to many, as certainly word (logos) I used as it was used in the passage--as a precept with sub-precepts, which I was hoping the reader would pick up on.

Last edited by Linsinbigler : 12-23-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Knight of the Forum

I haven't.
Laying aside any habitual or emotional negative action is easier said then done. It's building is accomplished through the subconscious by programming the mind.
Think picking your nose to emphasize. It is filthy and disgusting yet many people do it out of habit, unconsciously reaching toward their nose. There will be a struggle for the individual to overcome this pre-programmed action. The same thing occurs for foul language, a pre-programmed response. There is a process one can follow to undo this programming of the subconscious but takes time and effort, it took time and effort to create this condition in the first place.

Yes I was kidding. I will have to lay aside the urge to inject comedy into my posts.
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post

John 15

1"I am the true vine, and My Father is the husbandman.

2Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away; and every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken unto you.

4"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, no more can ye, unless ye abide in Me.

5"I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abideth in Me and I in Him, the same bringeth forth much fruit, for without Me ye can do nothing.

6If a man abide not in Me, he is cast forth as a branch and is withered; and men gather them and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

7If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

8Herein is My Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be My disciples.

9"As the Father hath loved Me, so have I loved you. Continue ye in My love.

10If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love, even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

11These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12"This is My commandment: that ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14Ye are My friends if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 01-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.