Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Bible Chat  > Should we celebrate the old testament holidays?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:12 AM

Default Should we celebrate the old testament holidays?

should we celebrate the old testament holidays? ive been doing research and if we were to celebrate properly according to the old testament lev. 23:4-8 then we should be celebrating on a different day each year. should we celebrate like that or should we change it. please respond with bible verses saying whether or not we should or shouldnt please.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Giuliano

Default Re: Should we celebrate the old testament holidays?

I just read Leviticus 23. It says God told Moses to tell Israel those things. It also commands them to sacrifice animals. The holy days applied to them through their "generations" meaning to their children and children's children. Finally it says some of these festivals were to remind them of being brought out of Egypt.

Those rules were given to Israel, and they took a vow, made an agreement, to keep them. They were never binding on Gentiles.

We find the New Testament saying the same thing. The laws of Moses were not binding on Gentiles.

If you are not a Jew, circumcised ritually as a Jew is, you should not attempt to observe the Jewish Passover as they do since the Law of Moses forbids it.

Exodus 12:43 And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof:
44 But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.
45 A foreigner and an hired servant shall not eat thereof.
46 In one house shall it be eaten ; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; neither shall ye break a bone thereof.
47 All the congregation of Israel shall keep it.
48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.

The Sabbath likewise was given to Israel. Not to Gentiles. It's always been that way. Jews hire Gentiles to do minor tasks for them on Sabbaths. Jews today will tell you it would be a sin for them, but it's not for the Gentiles. This agrees with what Paul said about what days we observe -- it's not obligatory to keep any day.

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth , eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

I'd suggest you observe whatever days your own church observes so you are in harmony with them. Does that help?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes that does. i have been reading a friends letters about how we should celebrate these certain festivals and throughout reading it i kept asking myself if we are suppose to even celebrate those anymore. thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierofGod View Post
should we celebrate the old testament holidays?......
Like what? Hannukah? Fine with me.

But Yom Kippur? That would sort of be a slap in the face to Jesus
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Giuliano

You're quite welcome, and I am glad it made sense to you. It is possible to read the OT wrong and then when you hit the NT that says Christians aren't under the law of Moses, it looks as if the Bible is contradicting itself.

I used to keep the sabbath myself and even the dietary rules until someone helped clear it up for me. It didn't do me any harm, but I don't think it helped much. It did teach me discipline though. That was one benefit.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Knight of the Forum

let us take as many holidays as possible the good bad and the ugly. Nothing like a day off.

" People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Moses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierofGod View Post
should we celebrate the old testament holidays? ive been doing research and if we were to celebrate properly according to the old testament lev. 23:4-8 then we should be celebrating on a different day each year. should we celebrate like that or should we change it. please respond with bible verses saying whether or not we should or shouldnt please.
Some will ask the question differently.

Should we celebrate the Lords appointed festivals ?

Theses who are under Mosaic covenant defiantly should. But they can't, at best they can partially do so.

The Temple nor tabernacle are no longer in Jerusalem here on earth. There are 3 Regalim - pilgrimages, required people to go to the holy city and sacrifice there.

Today the sacrifice is replaced by prayer, it is based on Psalms were it states that by lips they send as "parim" - bulls.

Basically there was a sacrifice for Sabbath, New Moon, Passover, and many other festivals.

Today we can't follow the law of Moses that tells us how to keep Lords appointed times, festivals in their fullest way. Jews for example settled for modified versions of the festivals.
Samaritans actually do sacrifice a lamb on Passover.

For the Christians the festivals are modified, Passover is Ester.
The last supper signified Jesus as Passover lamb as how Hebrews saved by blood on their doors and the death didn't touch them, new Covenant with Jesus we have the wine and the bread.
New festivals exists such as Christmas,

The Lord loveth the gates of Zion more then all the dwellings of Jacob, glorious things are spoken of thee O city of God". Psalm 87v2

and

" Beautiful for situation the joy of the whole earth is mount Zion, on the sides of the north. The city of the great King". Psalm 48v2

"At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the YHWH; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of YHWH, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the stubbornness of their evil heart" (Jeremiah 3.17).

Zechariah 14

17 And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, YHWH of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which YHWH strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.
19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.

21 Yes, every pot in Jerusalem and Judah shall be Set-apartness to YHWH of hosts. Everyone who sacrifices shall come and take them and cook in them. In that day there shall no longer be a Canaanite in the House of YHWH of hosts.

Last edited by Moses : 11-22-2010 at 10:52 PM.