Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Bible Chat  > The fate of BACs who fail to remain “in Christ”

Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: The fate of BACs who fail to remain “in Christ”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsenior View Post
Well, how about? >>> God calls some BACs to be evangelists (esp. Spirit-filled BACs).
There are 2 types of evangelists: (1) to the unsaved, and (2) to people in churches.
Right now, He has me workin' on #2.
Is all of this OK with you?
You remind me of a guy, Tim Staples. A former Marine, He use to preach on the corners in SoCal, especially to Catholics, trying to "save" them.

Now he is a Catholic, and Director of Apologetics and Evangelization at Catholic Answers. He thought he was saving Catholics, and then the Catholic Church ended up saving him.

Its a great testimony.

Quote:
Tim Staples was raised in a Southern Baptist home in Virginia. Although he somewhat fell away from serious faith during his adolescent years, the preaching of several TV evangelists motivated Tim to give his life to Christ at the age of 18. Shortly thereafter Staples joined the Marine Corps to gain some much-needed discipline and get some help financing his college education. During his tour of duty he had the opportunity to participate in several Protestant ministries and bible studies. Before long, Tim enrolled in the Jimmy Swaggart Bible College and with an eye towards becoming an youth minister for the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal denomination. However, during his final year in the Marines, Tim met a fellow soldier named Matt Dula who really challenged Tim to examine the Catholic Faith from a biblical and historical perspective. Tim’s friendship with Matt sparked a two-year search for the truth. Though Tim was determined to prove Catholicism wrong, he wound up studying and praying his way right into the Roman Catholic Church. After converting to Catholicism in 1988, Staples spent six years in formation for the priesthood. Tim began his journey towards ordination by earning a degree in philosophy from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Overbrook, Pennsylvania. He then went on to study graduate theology for two additional years at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary in Emmitsburg, Maryland. In 1994 Tim discerned through prayer and counsel that his calling was not to be a Catholic priest, but rather to be a lay Catholic apologist and evangelist. He has been hard at work ever since producing materials to help Catholics and non-Catholics alike understand the meaning and the biblical foundation of the Catholic faith. His works include Nuts and Bolts: A Practical How-To Guide for Explaining and Defending the Catholic Church, and Twisted Scripture (CD), a critique of the Protestant doctrine of “Sola Scriptura.” Tim’s personal conversion story can be found in written form in the book edited by Patrick Madrid entitled Surprised by Truth – 11 Stories of Conversion to the Catholic Church. Staples’ journey of conversion is also available in an audio/video version under the title The Bible Made Me Do It! (VHS, Audio Tape, Compact Disk) In hundreds of live appearances all over the country, Tim Staples has helped thousands of people find their way home to the Catholic Church. Tim makes his extensive knowledge of Scripture available in tapes, books, and talks, helping others to see the strong biblical basis under girding Catholic doctrine. Tim’s humor and infectious enthusiasm captivate his audiences, and his unique style has brought him worldwide renown. Tim currently resides in Southern California with his wife Valerie and their infant son, Tim Jr.
https://www.crossroadsinitiative.com...r/tim-staples/

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: The fate of BACs who fail to remain “in Christ”

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
One dashes the foot, one wields the fork ...
And one has trouble understanding one!
Methinks ... Is it really worth the trouble?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsenior View Post
And one has trouble understanding one!
Methinks ... Is it really worth the trouble?
Twice now I dropped in on your clarity, twice you chose not to deal with any of mine. The trouble you perceive I am undergoing isn’t and is worth ignoring if it does not register though so much else has full clarity. Really? You didn’t see the intentional/un-intentional double-down? Oh-well, Thanks anyhow.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Tim Staples was raised in a Southern Baptist home in Virginia. Although he somewhat fell away from serious faith during his adolescent years, the preaching of several TV evangelists motivated Tim to give his life to Christ at the age of 18. Shortly thereafter Staples joined the Marine Corps to gain some much-needed discipline and get some help financing his college education. During his tour of duty he had the opportunity to participate in several Protestant ministries and bible studies. Before long, Tim enrolled in the Jimmy Swaggart Bible College and with an eye towards becoming an youth minister for the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal denomination. However, during his final year in the Marines, Tim met a fellow soldier named Matt Dula who really challenged Tim to examine the Catholic Faith from a biblical and historical perspective. Tim’s friendship with Matt sparked a two-year search for the truth. Though Tim was determined to prove Catholicism wrong, he wound up studying and praying his way right into the Roman Catholic Church. After converting to Catholicism in 1988, Staples spent six years in formation for the priesthood. Tim began his journey towards ordination by earning a degree in philosophy from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in Overbrook, Pennsylvania. He then went on to study graduate theology for two additional years at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary in Emmitsburg, Maryland. In 1994 Tim discerned through prayer and counsel that his calling was not to be a Catholic priest, but rather to be a lay Catholic apologist and evangelist. He has been hard at work ever since producing materials to help Catholics and non-Catholics alike understand the meaning and the biblical foundation of the Catholic faith. His works include Nuts and Bolts: A Practical How-To Guide for Explaining and Defending the Catholic Church, and Twisted Scripture (CD), a critique of the Protestant doctrine of “Sola Scriptura.” Tim’s personal conversion story can be found in written form in the book edited by Patrick Madrid entitled Surprised by Truth – 11 Stories of Conversion to the Catholic Church. Staples’ journey of conversion is also available in an audio/video version under the title The Bible Made Me Do It! (VHS, Audio Tape, Compact Disk) In hundreds of live appearances all over the country, Tim Staples has helped thousands of people find their way home to the Catholic Church. Tim makes his extensive knowledge of Scripture available in tapes, books, and talks, helping others to see the strong biblical basis under girding Catholic doctrine. Tim’s humor and infectious enthusiasm captivate his audiences, and his unique style has brought him worldwide renown. Tim currently resides in Southern California with his wife Valerie and their [/url]
Thank God! It appears the willingness was rewarded and Christ is preached! This era of study for Tim, is it just too meticulous to lay out a few short headings on what caused him to turn from these few things mentioned?

Yes, there is plenty here to head these off, just curious as to his specific reasoning.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Thank God! It appears the willingness was rewarded and Christ is preached! This era of study for Tim, is it just too meticulous to lay out a few short headings on what caused him to turn from these few things mentioned?

Yes, there is plenty here to head these off, just curious as to his specific reasoning.
Well you might not appreciate it the same way I do since you are not Catholic, but Tim was a street preacher, a real Bible thumper, and then he met a fellow Marine named Matt Doula, who was a Catholic, and thats where it started.

His testimony is actually quite humorous and entertaining when you hear him tell it. I cannot do justice to it in a post. In short, Tim used his usual lines on Matt (i.e. Why do you Catholics call your priests father when the Bible says... ..etc etc) the same lines he used to get Catholics to leave the Church, but Matt had answers. Tim was not use to Catholics who had answers. (Matt is a kindred spirit for me.) So Matt started to cause Tim to questions his beliefs, so Tim started to study, etc etc, yada yada yada... ...and it went from there.

Maybe I can find the testimony online. I did find two short versions (below) which are nowhere near as good as the testimony I first heard years ago, but they gives the basics, plus he answers questions afterwards. I will search for the long version:

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 01-31-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Maybe I can find the testimony online. I did find two short versions (below) which are nowhere near as good as the testimony I first heard years ago, but they gives the basics, plus he answers questions afterwards. I will search for the long version:
Thanks, would anticipate seeing that.
Quote:
Well you might not appreciate it the same way I do since you are not Catholic
Your reserved tone relates to that which is true of my catholic views, but not as to my Catholic appeal. You really don’t think it is possible for one such as I to appreciate the founding fully? Your free to attempt to bar me passage, even to the extent of what you might term it as being self-imposed, but the word of God grants us all much more than direct participation could ever hold us to,
“For I truly, as absent in body, but present in spirit”

(1 Corinthians 5:3)
Doesn’t the ancient saying hold true here as well?
You are not restrained by us, but you are restrained in your own affections.
Now in a like exchange—I speak as to children—open wide to us also.

(2 Corinthians 6:12, 13)
But at this point I understand, I am antagonizing the C-affection. As I have maintained from the beginning – it was not at all my intention, which also I’m sure provides little comfort. As long as I remain affiliated with that weak, ‘separated’ position, I am henceforth tolerated and not bestowed compliment which has in itself the image of V-12 for you, not me to deal with.

From there you know what openness I am from and no one has come to that defense nor changed it. Something lays in that void in what supposedly is held as invalid, but it is not my job to antagonize by continuing in it, but it is our calling to speak the word at the most inopportune times. Such, I think you recall I have.

Understood also, what little time spent with my C-observation has shown I'm sure has not weathered well though I appreciate your exchange here.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: The fate of BACs who fail to remain “in Christ”

Quote:
Your reserved tone relates to that which is true of my catholic views, but not as to my Catholic appeal. You really don’t think it is possible for one such as I to appreciate the founding fully?.......
If you can then that's great. Its fair to say that most would not. Most people who think that the Catholic Church is wrong in its teachings won't for a man who left your side of the aisle and cam to mine. If you can then that is an enlightened not found in most people.