Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Bible Chat  > Psalm 119

Old 01-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Psalm 119

Psalm 119

Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible with its 176 verses. I have been avoiding it because of its length. Somehow a few days ago I tried to read it and I thought it is not for me because the author seems to love everything about God, His words, His laws, His statutes, His decrees etc. I was somewhat in the middle of the psalm and was ready to quit when somehow a thought came and seems to say " sing it ". I made my own tune and started singing the remaining verses and to my astonishment, i finished the psalm.

But I thought maybe I just got lucky , so I started the psalm 119 again singing from verse one to wherever. Again I finished it with joy.

In the morning I read the 21 days of prayer + fasting guide of our church and I found it was based on Psalm 119 and the guide also recommended to sing it. I asked my pastor and he answered that psalm is a song.

So if you have not been singing the psalms yet, try singing it. If you are already singing the psalms, then my hats off to you.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Psalm 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
Psalm 119

Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the Bible with its 176 verses. I have been avoiding it because of its length. Somehow a few days ago I tried to read it and I thought it is not for me because the author seems to love everything about God, His words, His laws, His statutes, His decrees etc. I was somewhat in the middle of the psalm and was ready to quit when somehow a thought came and seems to say " sing it ". I made my own tune and started singing the remaining verses and to my astonishment, i finished the psalm.

But I thought maybe I just got lucky , so I started the psalm 119 again singing from verse one to wherever. Again I finished it with joy.

In the morning I read the 21 days of prayer + fasting guide of our church and I found it was based on Psalm 119 and the guide also recommended to sing it. I asked my pastor and he answered that psalm is a song.

So if you have not been singing the psalms yet, try singing it. If you are already singing the psalms, then my hats off to you.

ped
A Psalm is sung at every Catholic Mass. If you go to Mass every Sunday, after a while you will have sung almost every Psalm, and after three years you will have read the entire Bible at Mass.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
A Psalm is sung at every Catholic Mass. If you go to Mass every Sunday, after a while you will have sung almost every Psalm, and after three years you will have read the entire Bible at Mass.
I like this. Do you recall singing Psalm 119 ?

ped
Old 01-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
I like this. Do you recall singing Psalm 119 ? ped
Not specifically, but I know I have. There's a lot of things I don't remember.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Not specifically, but I know I have. There's a lot of things I don't remember.
By the way I am happy to tell you that I opened my common Bible "Revised Standard Version with the Apocryphal and Deutrocanonical Books which has the blessing of the Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox Churches, and I looked for Psalms 119 and sung it. This looks like getting to be a habit of mine to sing Psalm 119, sometimes more than once a day.

Terry, I encourage you to sing it today or tomorrow or daily or weekly or monthly or yearly, try it al least once for 2017.

ped
Old 01-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
By the way I am happy to tell you that I opened my common Bible "Revised Standard Version with the Apocryphal and Deutrocanonical Books which has the blessing of the Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox Churches, and I looked for Psalms 119 and sung it. This looks like getting to be a habit of mine to sing Psalm 119, sometimes more than once a day.

Terry, I encourage you to sing it today or tomorrow or daily or weekly or monthly or yearly, try it al least once for 2017.

ped
....and I encourage you to refer to those books as the Deuterocanonicals, not the "Apocryphals", because they are part of the Word of God.

The RSV is a good translation though. The RSVCE (Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition) has the Deuterocanonicals in their correct places in the Old Testament.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
....and I encourage you to refer to those books as the Deuterocanonicals, not the "Apocryphals", because they are part of the Word of God.

The RSV is a good translation though. The RSVCE (Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition) has the Deuterocanonicals in their correct places in the Old Testament.
Good. Are you planning to sing Psalm 119 ?

ped
Old 01-13-2017, 04:29 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Good. Are you planning to sing Psalm 119 ?

ped
"Planning?" I am not making actual "plans." I'll keep it in mind though. I am planning on continuing to go to Mass though, which means I will be singing it eventually anyway, one way or the other.

I did read part of it at Mass on February 4, 2012: Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time
July 6, 2012 Friday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time
....and more.

I'm thinking I'll be reading it again in 2018.

This Psalm, the longest by far in the Psalter, praises God for giving such splendid laws and instruction for people to live by. The author glorifies and thanks God for the Torah, prays for protection from sinners enraged by others’ fidelity to the law, laments the cost of obedience, delights in the law’s consolations, begs for wisdom to understand the precepts, and asks for the rewards of keeping them. Several expected elements do not appear in the Psalm: Mount Sinai with its story of God’s revelation and gift to Israel of instruction and commandments, the Temple and other institutions related to revelation and laws (frequent in other Psalms). The Psalm is fascinated with God’s word directing and guiding human life. The poem is an acrostic; its twenty-two stanzas (of eight verses each) are in the order of the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the eight verses within a stanza begins with the same letter. Each verse contains one word for “instruction.” The translation here given attempts to translate each Hebrew word for “instruction” with the same English word. There are, however, nine words for “instruction,” not eight, so the principle of a different word for “instruction” in each verse cannot be maintained with perfect consistency. The nine words for “instruction” in the translation are: law, statute, commandment, precept, testimony, word, judgment, way, and promise.
>> Psalms, Chapter 119 - United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 01-13-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
"Planning?" I am not making actual "plans." I'll keep it in mind though. I am planning on continuing to go to Mass though, which means I will be singing it eventually anyway, one way or the other.

I did read part of it at Mass on February 4, 2012: Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time
July 6, 2012 Friday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time
....and more.

I'm thinking I'll be reading it again in 2018.

This Psalm, the longest by far in the Psalter, praises God for giving such splendid laws and instruction for people to live by. The author glorifies and thanks God for the Torah, prays for protection from sinners enraged by others’ fidelity to the law, laments the cost of obedience, delights in the law’s consolations, begs for wisdom to understand the precepts, and asks for the rewards of keeping them. Several expected elements do not appear in the Psalm: Mount Sinai with its story of God’s revelation and gift to Israel of instruction and commandments, the Temple and other institutions related to revelation and laws (frequent in other Psalms). The Psalm is fascinated with God’s word directing and guiding human life. The poem is an acrostic; its twenty-two stanzas (of eight verses each) are in the order of the Hebrew alphabet. Each of the eight verses within a stanza begins with the same letter. Each verse contains one word for “instruction.” The translation here given attempts to translate each Hebrew word for “instruction” with the same English word. There are, however, nine words for “instruction,” not eight, so the principle of a different word for “instruction” in each verse cannot be maintained with perfect consistency. The nine words for “instruction” in the translation are: law, statute, commandment, precept, testimony, word, judgment, way, and promise.
>> Psalms, Chapter 119 - United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

Thanks for your research and sharing. As I understand parts or some verses of Psalm 119, were used as Responsorial Psalm on the examples you gave. On the days you mentioned (2), 11 or 12 verses were used out of the 176 verses of Psalm 119.

As for the description of Psalm 119 from US Conference of Catholic Bishops, I do appreciate it.

I learned something today about the Catholic church that i did not know before.

... to be continued

ped