Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Bible Chat  > “The Mind of Christ”

Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Default “The Mind of Christ”

The believer’s “calling of God” (Rom 11:29) is union and fellowship with Him and consists in either strength or weakness of faith, depending upon the present level of “conforming” growth in His Son (Rom 8:29). Strength of faith is in maintaining what God considers more than what we ourselves consider, this is having “the mind of Christ” (1Co 2:16), for He always prioritized the Father’s considerations over all things (Luk 22:42).

When the Father “drew” us (Jhn 6:44) to salvation in His Son, He already saw all our thoughts and actions, thus our eternal acceptance with Him was in no scintilla of a degree related to that of our person but of the person of the Lord Jesus. God’s love to us is not in any form indifferent to that of His love He has always had for His Son which was manifested in sending Him. Thus God’s desire for our acceptance equaled that of the person and work of His Son (Eph 1:6).

Therefore, our faith is strengthened as we consider what God regards concerning our place with Him, which is where we are “hid with Christ” (Col 3:3). We often deal with ourselves harshly in our mistakes and self-evaluations, but God deals with us only in loving chastisement and never with punishment, as if the believer could ever possibly be in trouble with God. We are ever in the same place of God’s heart and mind where the Lord Jesus is—which changes not—in spite of all He knows what we will encounter and decide.

Though our source (old man) of sin indwells and affects us to some degree, the Father never sees the believer as a sinner, as there are no Scriptural references describing the sinner as a believer, including Paul’s hyperbole (1Tim 1:15). This does not intend that the believer no longer sins, for a sinner is one who sins intentionally and willfully. But the work of the Spirit, which is the primary factor concerning our assurance of adoption in God (Rom 8:16) ever keeps us in the sensitivity of hatred of sin and sinning.

There is great comfort in knowing that God knows our desire is never to displease Him, and this is what He regards more than the sin from which we learn, just as His love for Christ’s work was regarded more than the “iniquity of us all” (Isa 53:6); and “where sin abounded, grace abounded much more” (Rom 5:20). To know to be undeserving of ourselves leads us to know we are deserving in Christ (1Co 11:29). May God keep us mindful of ourselves in the like manner which He Himself is mindful of us in His Son, our Lord Jesus!
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.'" -MJS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:10 PM

Default Re: “The Mind of Christ”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netchaplain View Post
The believer’s “calling of God” (Rom 11:29) is union and fellowship with Him and consists in either strength or weakness of faith, depending upon the present level of “conforming” growth in His Son (Rom 8:29). Strength of faith is in maintaining what God considers more than what we ourselves consider, this is having “the mind of Christ” (1Co 2:16), for He always prioritized the Father’s considerations over all things (Luk 22:42).

When the Father “drew” us (Jhn 6:44) to salvation in His Son, He already saw all our thoughts and actions, thus our eternal acceptance with Him was in no scintilla of a degree related to that of our person but of the person of the Lord Jesus. God’s love to us is not in any form indifferent to that of His love He has always had for His Son which was manifested in sending Him. Thus God’s desire for our acceptance equaled that of the person and work of His Son (Eph 1:6).

Therefore, our faith is strengthened as we consider what God regards concerning our place with Him, which is where we are “hid with Christ” (Col 3:3). We often deal with ourselves harshly in our mistakes and self-evaluations, but God deals with us only in loving chastisement and never with punishment, as if the believer could ever possibly be in trouble with God. We are ever in the same place of God’s heart and mind where the Lord Jesus is—which changes not—in spite of all He knows what we will encounter and decide.

Though our source (old man) of sin indwells and affects us to some degree, the Father never sees the believer as a sinner, as there are no Scriptural references describing the sinner as a believer, including Paul’s hyperbole (1Tim 1:15). This does not intend that the believer no longer sins, for a sinner is one who sins intentionally and willfully. But the work of the Spirit, which is the primary factor concerning our assurance of adoption in God (Rom 8:16) ever keeps us in the sensitivity of hatred of sin and sinning.

There is great comfort in knowing that God knows our desire is never to displease Him, and this is what He regards more than the sin from which we learn, just as His love for Christ’s work was regarded more than the “iniquity of us all” (Isa 53:6); and “where sin abounded, grace abounded much more” (Rom 5:20). To know to be undeserving of ourselves leads us to know we are deserving in Christ (1Co 11:29). May God keep us mindful of ourselves in the like manner which He Himself is mindful of us in His Son, our Lord Jesus!

If these verses say,
1Jn 3:6
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1Jn 3:8
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1Jn 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Are there also verses which say,
"This does not intend that the believer no longer sins, for a sinner is one who sins intentionally and willfully."

For we as believers have this hope in Christ.

Rom 8:3
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

This is what makes us Believers, we believe our sins are forgiven in Christ.

We are no longer in the flesh but in the spirit, we are spiritual beings in Christ.

Rom 8:5
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Be Blessed
JIM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM

[quote=Lookinforacity;193724].
"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin"

Hi Jim - For the first 10 or 15 years of my nearly 40 years of Christian walk I also thought the 1John 3 verses meant exactly what they read. I still occasionally wonder why Scripture is often obscure but mostly I believe it's so we seek God more in understanding His Word.

I finally understood that seeking opinions of others along with mine, esp. those of commentators is a good way God teaches.

Example: "He that committeth sin is of the devil,...." Not everyone that sins, or commits acts of sin, then every man is of the devil, because no man lives without the commission of sin; but he who makes sin his constant business, and the employment of his life, whose life is a continued series of sinning, he is of the devil; not as to origin and substance, or by proper generation, as some have literally understood the words; but by imitation, being like him, and so of him their father, doing his lusts, living continually in sin, as he does, and so resemble him, as children do their parents; and hereby also appear to be under his government and influence, to be led captive by him at his will, and so to belong to him, and such as will have their part and portion with him in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, so living and dying.

John Gill
https://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/...ill/1john3.htm
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.'" -MJS
Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 AM

[quote=Netchaplain;193725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post
"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin"

Hi Jim - For the first 10 or 15 years of my nearly 40 years of Christian walk I also thought the 1John 3 verses meant exactly what they read. I still occasionally wonder why Scripture is often obscure but mostly I believe it's so we seek God more in understanding His Word.

I finally understood that seeking opinions of others along with mine, esp. those of commentators is a good way God teaches.

Example: "He that committeth sin is of the devil,...." Not everyone that sins, or commits acts of sin, then every man is of the devil, because no man lives without the commission of sin; but he who makes sin his constant business, and the employment of his life, whose life is a continued series of sinning, he is of the devil; not as to origin and substance, or by proper generation, as some have literally understood the words; but by imitation, being like him, and so of him their father, doing his lusts, living continually in sin, as he does, and so resemble him, as children do their parents; and hereby also appear to be under his government and influence, to be led captive by him at his will, and so to belong to him, and such as will have their part and portion with him in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, so living and dying.

John Gill
https://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/...ill/1john3.htm

I will read Gills commentary and get back with you.

Be Blessed
JIM

Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
... “the mind of Christ” ...

Who do you think the 'head of the body' and "the mind of Christ" recognizes/acknowledges as His God, post ascension, in the following scripture:

Rev. 3:12;
He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name.
Jesus said, "... I ascend to My Father and your Father, to MY GOD and YOUR GOD." -John{20:17, 10:27}
Old 08-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Hi TRMM - Appreciate your reply but not certain how to reply back because I do not know what your trying to present. I'll try if you could be more clearer.

Thanks and God bless!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
... “the mind of Christ” ....
Who does the 'head of the body', Christ, recognize/acknowledge as His God, post ascension, in the following scripture:

Rev. 3:12, He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name.
Jesus said, "... I ascend to My Father and your Father, to MY GOD and YOUR GOD." -John{20:17, 10:27}