Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Ministers > Becoming a minister  > What was Jesus' Purpose-coming,dying?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
antonio

Default What was Jesus' Purpose-coming,dying?

In John 10, Jesus said,
Quote:
7So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am (H)the door of the sheep.
8"All who came before Me are (I)thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9"(J)I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
10"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they (K)may have life, and have it abundantly.
11"(L)I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd (M)lays down His life for the sheep. american
Sorry I forgot the version but here is is in KJV,
Quote:
7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. KJ
So as I read it, Jesus explicitly says who He is and why He is here. There is no mention of sin or dying for forgiveness of sin.

Then, in Mark 14:22 He said,
Quote:
22(Q)While they were eating, He took some bread, and after a (R)blessing He broke it, and gave it to them, and said, "Take it; this is My body."

23And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24And He said to them, "This is My (S)blood of the (T)covenant, which is poured out for many. New American
and in KJV,
Quote:
22And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

23And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.

24And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
He doesn't mention in these versions He is shedding His blood for forgiveness of sin.
And while some versions add , "remission" remission means, according to the Online Thesarus, the act of abating (#1) and abate means, to abolish(#2).
So it seems that if the word "remission" is used it means to do away with sin not forgive it.
So my question is, I acknowledge Jesus died for us but do these verses indicate it wasn't for our sin but in order to lead us to a full and abundant life?
thank you
antonio
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Minister & Knight

Default Re: What was Jesus' Purpose-coming,dying?

Hebrews 10: 1-29

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
The question is what law had a shadow of things to come? Was it the commandments or Godís ordinances and statutes? To answer the question you must understand what Christ represented. He represented the Lamb, goat, and or bullock physically, and he became the Lamb, goat, and or bullock physically and spiritually. The Lambs, goats, and bullocks were used for the evening and morning sacrifices (oblations). These sacrifices include the weekly Sabbath Days, feast days, New Moons, sin offerings, trespass offerings, wave offerings, consecrations, and for anything that needed to be reconciled to God by blood sacrifice because of transgression, uncleanness, and disobedience. These sacrifices were offered day by day and year by year, but they couldnít make you perfect. They just brought forth the acknowledgement of sin. Had these people kept Godís commandments, they wouldnít have needed any sacrifice for sin on any level. But, because they have proven to be disobedient, and choose to do what they want to do and call it righteous as we continue to do today, a sacrifice was needed. This is why Christ became the lamb. But him becoming the Lamb to be sacrificed for your sins under grace doesnít give you the ability to transgress any of Godís commandments. Your past sins are covered under Grace when you choose to walk as Christ, and not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God (Matthew 4:4).
2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
3But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
The person that sinned had to bring a lamb to the priest, and the Priest gave it to the High priest to be sacrificed for your sins. There were laws concerning how to pick a lamb to be sacrificed, and it had to be followed strictly in order for God to accept it for your atonement for your sin. Again these laws concerning sacrifice was given even then to see if man would change his heart and follow God, but we know how that ends. It ends with man continuing to break Godís word.
4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
These animals could never take away sin, but it was the schoolmaster for you to understand Christ, what he represents, and what he came to do given to him by the father.
5Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Jesus became the sacrifice. He became the Lamb.
6In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
God had no pleasure in any of those burnt offerings and sacrifices because if you had to follow the law of sacrifice, that meant that you did something against the commandments of God, which is sin. And the penalty for sin is death. Something had to die. Therefore God gave laws concerning sacrifice in order for us to be cleansed from sin. If you donít have a full understanding of what the law was concerning sacrifice you need to go to the so called old testament scriptures to find the order. Once you sacrifice an animal your sins were forgiven if God allowed it as he states in his laws of sacrifice. Once you brought your lamb to the high priest to be sacrificed for your sins, did that mean you could go and commit sin again without penalty? No. It hasnít changed today. The only thing that has changed to our benefit is that Christ has become the lamb. He died for our sins. If you commit your mind to God, and die to the flesh, then Christís blood covers your past sins. The key to understanding is that something still has to die. Because Christ died for you, you can now receive his blood if you die to the fleshly nature, and stop breaking Godís commandments.
7Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
The law that these offerings for sin was offered by, was the law concerning animal sacrifice. This is not talking about the commandments, ordinances, or statutes. Because man had broken Godís commandments, ordinances, and statues, which is sin, the law of death was added. Something had to die, an animal or you. Today something still has to die. Because Christ died for you, you must also die to the fleshly mind.
9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
God had taken away the first lamb (animals), and gave us a better sacrifice which is Christ. The law that was done away with was the law of animal sacrifice which is the law of death. Now we have a better sacrifice and a better high priest which is Christ Jesus. But Jesus didnít destroy the law or commandments, he become the law. Meaning he became the order in which you are to be forgiven for sin, by you being reconciled to him by the renewing of your mind. Therefore we keep all Godís commandments for this is the love of God.
10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Jesus is not going to die for you twice, so the key is for you to stop committing sin, and putting his blood to an open shame. How can Christ be in you if you are continuing to sin? It is impossible. Greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world (I John 4).
11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
That old priesthood offered up sacrifices every day, but did it stop man from sinning? The only thing that can stop man from sinning is Christ living in you. If Christ is in you then you serve God completely by his order and not yours. We must be servants. A servant takes direction. Godís servant doesnít serve how he or she wants. Godís servant is obedient to the word of God.
12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
If we are sanctified by the word of God then Christ has perfected us. The question is how are you sanctified? True sanctification is by you keeping the word of God. This means Gods word guides you in every direction. If his word guides you, then you are sanctified by his word, and perfected by Christ. You become the offering without blemish at this point, and Christ presents you to the father in righteousness.
15Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
The law is now in you, when Christ is in you. He paid the price. He is the law. If he is in you then there is no death penalty for you, because you have now been reconciled unto him, be the renewing of your mind. You no longer serve sin. You are now born of God, and a servant in the process.
17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Once you commit to Christ, he has forgiven you of your past sins, and he will not hold those sins against you.
18Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
But if you fall into remission meaning if you go back into sin, and let the old man of sin live in you again, and then Christ will not die for you again. You will have to answer for those sins by your own blood, which is both a physical and spiritual death.
19Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21And having an high priest over the house of God;
Christ was consecrated for himself to be high priest, and for you to be after his order.
22Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
A true heart is one who seeks Godly truth, and is governed by it. Our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience is when we die to the fleshly mind. Our bodies are washed with pure water when we let the spirit of God live in us. When God lives in us we no longer take pleasure in sin. But what is sin. Sin is the transgression of the law. If we transgress the law of Christ then we put his blood to an open shame by not having faith to keep his word.
23Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised
24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
What is willful sin if we donít have to keep Godís commandments, ordinances, and statutes? If you donít have to keep Gods commandments then how do you willfully sin? The key is for you must keep Gods commandments. This is not a Mosaic law as some would call, because Moses has no law. God gave Moses his commandments, statutes, ordinances, and laws concerning animal sacrifice. Moses didnít get to establish on his own these things. When we say things like Mosaic Law, we are not acknowledging God. We are saying that Moses gave these things under himself. Moses didnít give anything under himself. Moses was a servant that gave Godís word to the people.
27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
If you sin willfully all you have coming is the lake of fire. He that have an ear let him hear what the spirit says unto the churches.
28He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
If under Moses man were stoned for sin, what do you think God is going to do to those that continue in sin? Donít fear the one that can kill the body, but fear the one that can cast you into the fire for eternity.
Galatians 3: 16-26
16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
The promise is given to those that have the seed of faith in them, by the same faith of Jesus Christ.
17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
The promise was given to Abraham, because he was faithful. Christ also is partaker and King supreme over this kind of faith. Abraham was given the promise by the word of God 430 years before the law came. This law was the ordinances of animal sacrifice for the remission of sin. God is clear in verse 17 when he said that this law that was 430 years after the promise that God gave Abraham by faith couldnít take away the promise. The promise was established by faith, and it is still of faith to this day. For if you believe on Christ you have faith that he is the lamb, High Priest, and he lives in you. If you donít have faith you donít live in a manner that reflects that you believe that Christ is the lamb and High Priest. Christ being the Lamb and High Priest Doesnít take away the fact that we must keep his commandments. For if we keep his commandments we are not under the law which is the penalty for sin. Shall we continue in sin so grace may abound, God forbid.
18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
The law that God gave to Moses was written down. Manís law is also written down. If you work for some company donít you enter in an agreement of your wages? Yes. At that point it becomes law. You donít need any faith in the company at that point for payment, because it is bound by contract (law). If you or the company breaks it then you are bound to the penalty of it. That is your protection, but you donít need any faith in that process. But God gave the promise to Abraham not by law or letter, but by promise. Its like if someone says come work for me and I will pay you. And if you go to work for that person without anything in writing, you are showing that you have faith that this person will hold up to his or her end. This is the kind of faith, and promises that God and Abraham had between each other.
19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
What was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions. What did man transgress to get the law added? Apparently the law and the thing that was transgressed was two different things. Man transgressed the Commandments, statutes, and ordinances of God, therefore, the law which is the death penalty (animal sacrifice) for sin was added, until Christ came which is the true seed of all promises concerning eternal life.
20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
The law of animal sacrifice or law of death was not against the promises of God. If an animal could have changed your mind to be renewed unto God, then righteousness would have been by those animal sacrifices. But if we read the bible we can see that those animals didnít change manís mind. That is why Christ had to come, and become the sacrifice, and also live in you to reconcile you back to God.
22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
You must believe this to receive the promise for it is by faith.
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Until Christ came we were under the law of animal sacrifice. Once he came, and we have chosen to follow him then we are no longer under the law of animal sacrifice (schoolmaster), but under Christ blood if we walk according to Godís word.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
This is why those things of old time is in the scripture to show us what the schoolmaster was, and how it all pointed to Christ, so we can have faith in what we do as servants to the most high.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Once we receive the faith of Jesus Christ, there is no need for the schoolmaster. At this point we should be sons and daughters born of God unto perfection. But remember God is the author of perfection.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
If we have faith in Christ this means we believe that he is our sacrifice, and High Priest. We show this by us doing the will of the father by faith as Christ did. Christ didnít make any excuses on why not to keep Godís commandments, and neither should we. Jesus kept all the feast days, Sabbath days, New moons, statutes, and ordinances of God by faith, and so should we. We should bare the image of God in us.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Daniel

no antonio the verses you chose do not mention shedding of blood for sin.

Hebrews

9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Jesus came to fulfill the sacrificial law and make a 1 time sacrifice for all people.

Now in addition to this...yes very much so did he die for us to have an abundant life as well. But we cant have abundant lifes seperated from God.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
alphaomega3160

hi antonio;
over the years i have tried to come up with a short but complete answer to this question. the best that i have been able to come up with is this;
the kinsman redeemer ;
if you became so poor that you had to sell yourself into slavery; the only way you could get out of it was to have a kinsman redeemer; but there are 3 conditons place upon the redeemer.
1)- has to be of kin
2)- has to have the price
3)- has to pay the price
we have sold ourselves into the slavery of sin
and the price is death
jesus ;
1) was born into kinsman ship with man by becoming one
~ the heavenly jesus was not kin
2) the price to stay away from death (sin) is a perfect life
~ because jesus didnt sin , there is no cause for jesus to ever die
3) he pays that price with his undue death
~ and therefor is "owed" life
now in the garden ;
eve choose to leave her family (kin ship) with god by believing satan
jesus now gives the choice to mankind back
are we family ?
if no ; he can not be your kinsman redeemer
if yes; by rule of the kinsman redeemer act ; you are freed
i am sure there are other ways to explain this ; but this is my best thoughts on the subject; hope it helps
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 PM
antonio

Dear Al-3160 you wrote--
Quote:
we have sold ourselves into the slavery of sin
and the price is death
a couple of questions:
1. Did you mean to write "the consequence is death?"

2. When did I sell myself into slavery of sin? I don't recall doing that and I don't think I did.
3. Didn't Paul write that no one would even know sin if they hadn't been told of "the law?" So isn't the person that convinced someone of the Law, the one responsible for any sin?
4. While I lack the recall in #2 above, I also have no recollection of being told of the exorbitant price or consequence of this thing called sin.
5. There is a routine of a funny and rascally Jew named Lenny Bruce about how society got started. All these primitive people huddled together for protection. There was a continuous complaint about people pooing and peeing where others would step in it or smell it. So one of them suggested, that they adopt some rules: No pooing anywhere except in designated areas (of course they didn't use this kind of language) and the same for peeing. When they saw how well that worked, they came up with other rules.
So, while i agree with rules in order to live together, that doesn't mean they are sins or will result in eternal punishment. Just like the rules, weren't the list of sins just what some man came up with? Besides such men saying it was God's will, is there any proof of that any of those "sins" were God's will?
6. Besides, don't sinner and saints die?
7. While I believe what Jesus said in John 10. that He came down for the purpose of giving us a full and abundant life, I don't recall that He said He came for the purpose of forgiving sin. I believe He wanted to show us we have a divine spirit that if we let it be revealed
will bring us enormous enjoyment here on earth and in heaven.

NOTE: all my questions are sincerely based on belief except #6 which makes us confront an apparent contradiction.
antonio
Old 01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
alphaomega3160

hi again antonio;
#1-no ; actually i mean the price ; in this case, thou your defination works towards were i was going. according to the act of the kinsman redeemer one was sold into slavery for a price; and the consequence was slavery; so they are related (price and consequence) but are better seen as CAUSE & EFFECT.
#2-there are two points to this
a) all of mankind is adam . none including eve are created without going thru him.this is why original sin effects you ; so that you sin because you are a sinner (brought on by the sin of adam and eve )
b) to those who believe this to be unfair; the law is given ; keep these perfectly (you can't because you have that original sin in you) and you will live
so have you kept them perfectly? only you and god can answer that; i can not
#3 paul is trying to show "why the law" , but outside of the camp of the jews was killing wrong? if you killed someone ; was there a repercussion; so you see; the outside world knows what is wrong / sin. if you killed someone today and didnt think it was wrong would you be brought into court anyways?
#4 ; no comment for now
#5 there are 10 commandments given to man by god; and yet with original sin in view; each one of these laws were broken before they were given ( so do they show ; you need something else?) 613 laws are man made; but 3.16 of john shows a different way.
#6 is actually were we agree; but lets look deeper;
all saints and sinners die ; yep ; the body dies
and thus the verse ; "if your eye sins, pluck it out" your body has sinned; and will die ; if you have given yourself (soul) over to the spirit ; then it will enter heaven ; for as paul says "the flesh counts for nothing"
#7 that divine spirit that you speak of; IN MY OPINION ONLY; is not in every man ; we have a body; we have a soul; but that spirit you speak of is given to only those who have died to themselves --- the abundant life ; here on earth is for these.
*** just so you know; i am just answering the best i can ; not trying to tell you what to do;
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
antonio

Dear Al 3160
Quote:
#1-no ; actually i mean the price ; in this case, thou your defination works towards were i was going. according to the act of the kinsman redeemer one was sold into slavery for a price; and the consequence was slavery; so they are related (price and consequence) but are better seen as CAUSE & EFFECT.
OK

Quote:
#2-there are two points to this
a) all of mankind is adam . none including eve are created without going thru him.this is why original sin effects you ; so that you sin because you are a sinner (brought on by the sin of adam and eve )
I don't believe that. I don't believe a loving God would hold someone responsible for what another did. In fact somewhere there is something to the effect that what I say is true --something like, no more will the grapes the father eats set the children's teeth on edge.Most importantly, Jesus never said anything about this.
Quote:
b) to those who believe this to be unfair; the law is given ; keep these perfectly (you can't because you have that original sin in you) and you will live
so have you kept them perfectly? only you and god can answer that; i can not
There is no magic in this logic. An impossible standard is set up then because, the human or animal even, can't live up to the standard,it proves its infected with "sin." One can do that with anything. Eg The Secret--ask for anything and if you believe it, you will get it. If you don't get it, then your believe was defective.

Quote:
#3 paul is trying to show "why the law" , but outside of the camp of the jews was killing wrong? if you killed someone ; was there a repercussion; so you see; the outside world knows what is wrong / sin. if you killed someone today and didnt think it was wrong would you be brought into court anyways?
Pat is not clear. But you are mixing secular wrong with divine wrong. In God's eyes if you didn't believe it was wrong, it wouldn't be wrong. I very well might be in a secular court.
#4 ; no comment for now
Quote:
#5 there are 10 commandments given to man by god; and yet with original sin in view; each one of these laws were broken before they were given ( so do they show ; you need something else?) 613 laws are man made; but 3.16 of john shows a different way.
Wait, that's my point. Belief on Jesus means to love, God and humans as yourself and it's a narrow path or gate-which means a process not a "do or don't" A process only means you try, and when you fail you keep trying and you get better at it because you discover, the more you give up anger, resentment, hate, judgement etc all the non-loving stuff, the fuller and more abundant is your life.
#
Quote:
6 is actually were we agree; but lets look deeper;
all saints and sinners die ; yep ; the body dies
and thus the verse ; "if your eye sins, pluck it out" your body has sinned; and will die ; if you have given yourself (soul) over to the spirit ; then it will enter heaven ; for as paul says "the flesh counts for nothing"
Sorry, don't understand your point

Quote:
#7 that divine spirit that you speak of; IN MY OPINION ONLY; is not in every man ; we have a body; we have a soul; but that spirit you speak of is given to only those who have died to themselves --- the abundant life ; here on earth is for these.
*** just so you know; i am just answering the best i can ; not trying to tell you what to do;
I understand, brother, I'm doing the same. Jesus said look for the kingdom of God within. That means it has to be in all of us or we would never find it. Wasn't it within the thief on the cross?

Please continue. clear what i missed, shoot me down on the other
antonio
Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
RevRob

Jesus came so you and all could have away of escape..........he is our escape goat........
Old 01-31-2009, 01:39 AM
irondumpty

Jesus came to do what he did. And it accomplished all that we see that it did.
You know what the bible says. Why are you really asking this?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM
antonio

Dear Israel, you wrote
Quote:
4For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
These animals could never take away sin,
Sorry to get back so late. Your post was so long I kept putting off reading it.
Thank you for responding. There doesn't seem to be, for a dummy like me, agreement in the answers so I am still unclear.
In
Quote:
Leviticus 5 (New Living Translation) the claim is that God is saying, 5 ďWhen you become aware of your guilt in any of these ways, you must confess your sin. 6 Then you must bring to the Lord as the penalty for your sin a female from the flock, either a sheep or a goat. This is a sin offering with which the priest will purify you from your sin, making you right with the Lord.[a]
These two claims are in conflict or something. Can you explain their apparent contradiction
blessings
antonio